Most gun enthusiasts know about the firearm auction site Gunbroker. It’s a great resource for buying new and used firearms and practically anything gun-related. Gunbroker offers tutorials on how to use the site, but I receive questions almost weekly about the process of buying firearms. Here’s what you need to know:
- Buying firearms online from legitimate websites, like Gunbroker, is completely legal!
- Create an account, search Gunbroker to find the firearm you’re looking for, and win the auction or Buy It Now. You can look at a seller’s rating and read feedback to gain confidence in the seller. Personally, I’ve never experienced any problems with Gunbroker transactions.
- Pay the seller after winning the auction or using Buy It Now.
- Use Gunbroker’s FFL finder to contact a local FFL that provides transfer services and background checks, like Cocked and Locked Note: ALL FIREARMS PURCHASED ON GUN AUCTION WEBSITES MUST BE SHIPPED TO AN FFL. THE RECEIVING FFL DOES A NICS BACKGROUND CHECK ON THE BUYER.
- Contact the local FFL and ask if they will facilitate your transfer. Provide the seller’s email and the auction reference number to the FFL.
- Your local FFL will email or fax a copy of their FFL license to the seller. The license has a shipping address that must be used by the seller.
- Your local FFL receives the shipment from the seller, inspects the firearm, and updates their FFL logbook to reflect a firearm transfer into inventory.
- Your local FFL contacts you and lets you know that your firearm is available for pick-up.
- Go to your local FFL, fill out Form 4473, and undergo a NICS Background Check.
- Assuming you pass the background check, pay your local FFL ~$25 for providing the check and take your new gun home.
Thousands of transactions occur on Gunbroker every day. It is a great resource for used firearms. If you are willing to pay a premium, you can find items that are out of stock in most retail stores, but other times you will get lucky and find that elusive items for a steal.
One last note, if your item is not a firearm, you do not need to use an FFL. You can pay for the item and have it shipped directly to your home.